MAY is OLDER AMERICANS MONTH
We LOVE our older members of society, they have done so much for humanity, and they have so much to teach us if only we will stop to listen. So this month try to make an effort to reach out to the older members of our community, to ask, and most importantly to LISTEN. During this COVID-19 Pandemic, so many have been missing family members in order to keep them safe, so video chat, send a text, or call each other and bring yourselves closer while staying safe.
Like so many in the healthcare industry we come in contact daily with vulnerable populations, we build relationships and value all members of our community. Our staff realize the important roles that our clients have played, and continue to play.
without further adieu, Here is a list of questions to get the ball rolling with the older people in your lives, and get to know them a little deeper. Who knows what you might learn!
1. What is your oldest memory?
2. Who has made the biggest impact on your life? why?
3. What is the biggest event you have lived thru?
4. What experience had the largest impact on your life? why?
5. What is your favorite book? What is it about?
6. Did you have any pets? what kind and what were there names?
7. Did you travel anyplace? where and what was it like?
8. How do you feel about the world today?
9. What are some positive changes that have been made in the world since you were a child?
10. What was highschool like?
11. Where did you hang out a teenager?
12. Who were your teenage friends?
13. What has been your biggest accomplishment?
14. Tell me a funny story from your childhood.
15. Tell me your favorite memory of your parents or caregivers.
These are really just general questions that so often go overlooked, there are many many more, use these as starting point, consider writing down their answers and keeping a journal of your conversations with your loved ones.